This is a unique ecosystem by being the only protected area in the world close to a capital city. The park is located only 7 km from Nairobi city centre. The savannah ecosystem comprise of different vegetation types.
Open grass plains with scattered acacia bush are predominant. The western side has a highland dry forest and a permanent river with a riverine forest. To the south are the Athi-Kapiti Plains and Kitengela migration corridor which are important wildlife dispersal areas during the rain season. Man-made dams within the park have added a further habitat, favourable to certain species of birds and other aquatic biome. Major wildlife attractions are the Black rhino, lion, leopard, cheetah, hyena, buffaloes, Giraffe, zebra, wildebeest, elands and diverse birdlife with over 400 species recorded. Other attractions include the Ivory burning site Monument, Nairobi Safari Walk, the Orphanage and the walking tr
• By Road: Distance: 10km South of Nairobi City Center
• By Air: Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and Wilson Airports PARK GATES The park has 7 gates. 2 gates being for KWS service use only.
The gates are:-
• Main gate: KWS headquarters Langata road
• Cheetah Gate
• Langata Gate
• Maasai Gate
• Mbagathi Gate(service gate)
• Banda Gate(service gate) ails at hippo pools.