During week 22, baby’s invading your space, which is why it might be tough to catch your breath and why your back might be killing you. Hey, as she grows, she may be expanding your belly so much (so fast) that you might have some stretch marks — and you might even have a newfound “outtie”! What’s not so cool is that the stretch marks may never fade, but we promise they’ll fade in color after delivery. And your outtie will go back to an innie, we promise. As for sex, all these body changes, along with another fun one — discharge! — might be messing with your mojo, but some moms-to-be actually find they have an increase in libido around 22 weeks. That’s because your hormones are pretty much raging at this point. This is also a good time to schedule a maternity portrait session. You’ll want to aim for the third trimester — but not so late that you risk going into labor before your appointment.
your baby’s the size of a papaya!
During month five, the average fetus measures about 10.5 to 11.8 inches and weighs about 12.7 to 20.8 ounces.
your baby at 22 weeks
- Now that he’s got more developed eyes and lips, he’s looking even more like a newborn.
- He’s sleeping in cycles — about 12 to 14 hours per day (hint: they’re probably those times you’re not feeling any kicks!).
pregnancy symptoms at 22 weeks
- Increased libido. (We hope you’re enjoying it!)
- Stretch marks and maybe even a brand-new “outtie.” These come with the explanding belly territory.
- More vaginal discharge, a result of increased blood flow down there.
- Steady weight gain — about 1/2 pound each week from here on out.
- Minor swelling in your hands and feet.
- Back aches, due to extra pressure from baby and carrying around the extra weight.
- Hair growth (maybe in strange places — sorry!). Thank you hormones.
- Trouble catching your breath, as baby continues to crowd your lungs.
- Remember: Schedule your glucose screen test (for weeks 24-28)