Butternut squash, like pumpkin and sweet potato, are ideal for baby food recipes.
- It is easily digested, rarely causes allergies,
- It is a good source of betacarotene and vitamins C and E. Babies like the naturally sweet taste, which combines well with vegetables like peas or broccoli and also goes well with fruits like apple or pear.
Cooking fruit and vegetables in a steamer, as in this baby food recipe, is one of the best ways of preserving nutrients.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 450g)
- 1 ripe juicy pear
- Peel the butternut squash, cut in half, remove the seeds and chop into pieces.
- Steam for about 12 minutes.
- Peel, core and chop the pear; add to the steamer and continue to cook for 5 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Puree in a blender.