It’s important to include fish in a babies die from 8 months onward as it provides the baby with the essential fatty acids (omega) that are important for brain development.
- Broccoli is also a good source of vitamins providing an excellent source of vitamin C and beta-carotene, the darker the florets, the higher the amount of antioxidants.
- This recipe uses cow’s milk, which is fine to use in cooking for babies under 1. You could use breast or formula milk if you would prefer, but it is not quite the same consistency as using cow’s milk in the cheese sauce.
- cow’s milk in the cheese sauce.
- 75g fish fillet
- A small knob of butter
- 50g broccoli florets
For the sauce:
- 15g butter
- 15g flour
- 200 ml milk
- 20g cheese, grated
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated (optional)
- 2 tbsp mascarpone (optional)
1. Put the fish in the microwave dish and dot with butter. Cover with cling film, leaving an air vent, and microwave for 90 seconds. Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for 4 minutes.
2. To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk, then continue to stir over a low heat for
about 3 minutes until the sauce thickens.
3. Remove the sauce from the heat, stir in the Gruyère and Parmesan until melted, then mix in the mascarpone.
4. Flake the fish and finely chop the broccoli, then stir both into the cheese sauce.